Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Month Removed


I've had a pretty damn good first month in Santiago. Granted everything still has a cool novelty that is common upon meeting a new city, but I didn't feel this way in Japan and I know when I'm in a place that's right for me.

In this city, anything can happen at any time. You could head out the door to go to the supermarket and end up getting mugged, laid, tear-gassed or drunk. There is always something going on and what the city lacks in cleanliness or natural beauty it makes up for in character and vibrancy.

The people are animated, friendly and opinionated. They're quick to warm up to strangers - especially gringos - though it could just be my stunning features and chiseled abs.

I'm writing alot on the local music scene in Santiago along with a weekly column covering Chile's professional basketball league, the Dimayor. I'll keep posting articles here, but if you'd like to see more of The Santiago Times website, let me know and I'll send you the username and password.

Also, make sure to check out www.revolver-magazine.com, a site far superior to The Santiago Times that I am contributing to, and which does not require a username and password.

I miss and think about family and friends a lot, but am also loving living in Santiago.


View of Plaza Italia, the Andes and smog from my bedroom window.


Laundry day


Cool side of a building


Street performers tearing it up